This is where the frustration comes from. Jefferson, Orleans, and all down-river parishes have been cut off from all outside aid, apparently. And stories are beginning to surface that FEMA is or was actively blocking private aid to these area. Here are some examples.
- Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard on Meet the Press:
We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water, trailer trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn’t need them. This was a week ago. FEMA — we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. The Coast Guard said, “Come get the fuel right away.” When we got there with our trucks, they got a word. “FEMA says don’t give you the fuel.”
Since race and politics has turned into such a huge issue here, it is important to note that Jefferson Parish is largely white. In fairness, I should also note that, currently, the top hit on Google for story about a subpoena he received in a corruption case last month.
- FEMA was turning away citizens with boats from rescue efforts
- Additional law enforcement snarled in FEMA red tape.
- Nagin holds Governor responsible for delay
- Journalists rebel
- jwz has a “horror show roundup”.
- Miguel de Icaza has more