Today, in response to a query in wikitech-l, I realized no one had laid out a set of steps for getting an extension deployed on Wikimedia sites. I wrote out my first draft and a few people in Ops pointed out a number of things that I had missed. Together, we came up with a fairly complete guide.
This is the second or third time this has come up in the past month. For example, I’ve directed Santhosh in the steps towards deployment of his WebFonts extension which you can see in action on GerardM’s blog.
The process for getting an extension deployed has been pretty opaque and scary. Hopefully this documentation will help the WMF developers, people in Operations, and volunteer developers get things done more smoothly.